Jump to Navigation
Estate Planning

Jacksonville Estate Planning Lawyer

Florida Elder Law Attorney

A comprehensive estate plan can set forth how to deal with various issues upon your death. At the Law Office of Douglas A. Oberdorfer, P.A., in Jacksonville, Florida, I provide estate planning services, as well as estate administration representation. While few want to think of their passing, I encourage my clients to establish an estate plan that will protect their family's future.

If you have questions regarding creating a will or a living trust, I can help. Contact my Jacksonville law firm to schedule an initial consultation.

Estate Planning Services for All Walks of Life

One of the common misconceptions about estate planning is that you have to be rich and famous to have an estate plan. Estate planning services are for people from all walks of life. Having an estate plan in place will give you the peace of mind that your loved ones will be secure after your passing. A well-constructed plan may also help your heirs avoid the probate process and minimize the percentage of your assets lost to estate taxes and probate court fees.

I work with clients on preparation of wills and of living trusts. Sometimes this is a simple combination of basic documents; other times my clients require the complex estate plan of a high net worth individual. The Law Office of Douglas A. Oberdorfer, P.A., can help you. I routinely work with a network of tax professionals who can consult on your estate plan to make sure your assets are protected, and everything is done within applicable federal and state tax laws.

Medical Power of Attorney · Living Will · Financial Power of Attorney

Estate planning services are not only about money and possessions. You can also establish a plan that provides a health care surrogate or an advanced health care directive in the event of an unexpected illness or incapacity. These documents — also known as medical powers of attorney and living wills — can set forth how to handle health care decisions if you are unable to make them, and explain your health care wishes if you are unable to explain them.

A financial power of attorney gives an individual you designate the right to handle your financial affairs, either temporarily or permanently. You may want a financial power of attorney arranged in advance for access to your accounts in the event of serious illness — or even if you are traveling outside the country for an extended period of time.

Determining Guardianships for Children or Adults

If you have minor children or disabled adult children, you may want to express your wishes as to who will care for the children in the event of your death, in writing. This is done via a document called a guardianship. While such a provision is not automatically binding, it does carry weight as the court determines the best interest of the child. I have helped clients draft estate plans that strictly adhere to Florida law.

Contact Law Office of Douglas A. Oberdorfer, P.A.

I invite you to learn more about my professional background and my areas of practice. For more information on estate planning, or to schedule an appointment to establish your will, please contact me.